I am at a loss to understand the analogy of swiss army knife versus a
ratchetting screwdriver as presented in Ricky's message.   The most
important reason to consider the proposed structural changes in DC is
*precisely* to make the Dublin Core more useful for the most people in the
most disciplines across various sectors...
public/private/commercial/governmental.

This can be done without compromising simple applications.

It can be done in an extensible way that allows additional descriptive
precision in a particular  domain without compromising the general model.

Will every application be interoperable in every detail with every other
one?  No.  It is unlikely that a commercial rights metadata system will be
able to use every detail of a library name authority record, or that a
library application will be able to extract every bit of detail from an
Interested Party name file.

It *is* likely that a user could successfully search for a name in either
variety of file... exactly the sort of semantic interoperability that we
have been working towards from the very beginning of the Dublin Core.

There are not two camps in the Dublin Core community.  There is a continuum
of needs and goals, as has been clear at least as far back as the Warwick
meeting, and which surfaced in the Minimalist/Structuralist debate in
Canberra.

Ironically, the chances of accomodating the needs of the entire spectrum of
applications is finally coming into reach.

stu, who has always thought that it really should be called a Swiss Army
Corkscrew.