> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Richard Tammar wrote:
>
> > I also agree with Colin that sites *should* be optimised for
> everyone; and
> > if I had the resources at my disposal, I would advocate just that!
> > Unfortunately I don't and because of this I am willing to compromise on
> > style if not accessibility.
>
> This argument crops up every time a new browser is released. I remember
> the flame wars about using tables when NS2 came out; the arguments over
> background colours in tables when NS3 came out etc.
>
> At the end of the day, if you follow the spec you don't have a problem,
> and you don't need to "optimise" your pages. If you ignore the spec,
> expect to suffer down the line. It's surprising just how good a site can
> look and still validate. People need to get out of the "design for print"
> mindset and start writing proper HTML.

Does anyone know of any good tools for checking the compatibility of Web pages against various browsers? I use Dreamweaver 2's facility for checking compatibility when creating or editing a page. This works well but is not suitable for checking a lot of pages let alone a whole site. Netmechanic (www.netmechanic.com) will do it but a tool we could run locally would be useful.

Dave Cunningham