Thanks for all the replies sent to my posting (some were sent to me
individually, as well as the ones sent to the list).

I will attempt to summarise the main themes and include them in my seminar
(I'll give the URL of the slides when they're available).

Many of the issues mentioned are non-technical: lack of resources, lack of
senior management understanding, unrealistic expectations, doing it on the
cheap, unclear responsibilities of a web editor, training and support, work
flow systems, inter-departmental conflicts, etc.

Some of these issues were highlighted in an Ariadne article available at:
< http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue18/web-focus/ >.

Would anyone be interested in writing a follow-up to that article?  The
deadline is 1 March, with a planned publication date of 15 March.

Please get in touch with me if you're interested.

Thanks

Brian