I have nothing original to add to the spot-on replies made so far, but would
re-iterate the need for top level support not just for resources but for the
culture change that is required if we are going to optimise the
teaching/learning opportunities as well as information and marketing
functions of our Web sites. I have never experienced as open an atmosphere
of collaboration as in the 'Web community', and have hopes that this will
rub off onto other areas of our institutions.

I would estimate that at Bath the Web publishing is more than 50%
distributed, yet only a handful of people are publishing and managing
information. Dozens of staff are allotted a few hours to attend training
courses or use on-line tutorials, but Web publishing sinks to bottom of the
work pile(and sometimes onto mine)when they return to their jobs. There
needs to be a strategy and committment to that strategy from the top.

Ellen Sims