We a have jus set up a staff/student homepages system, separate from
the 'official' college web stuff. My concern was that in the
(hopefully unlikely) event of the police arriving at the front door to
'seize the computer' on which illegal things could be found we could
actually point ot a distinct box, rather than a hard disk. I believe
this approach shows a sufficent blend of 'due care'  and 'hands off'
to insulate us from any subsequent prosecution.

As we want to encourage the use of web by members of the College it
also means we can offer a range of extra facilties, like those offered
by commercial ISPs to 'sell' the service.

Although our system isn't live yet you may want to preview the top
level sign-up page:
http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/newspace/

---------------------------------
 Andrew R. Aird,
 Web Team Manager,
 Information Services
 Goldsmiths College,
 University of London,
 New Cross, London, SE14 6NW UK

http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk

Tel: 0171 919 7298

 Located at Room 222,
 Warmington Tower

 Mobile phone: O468 664550
 Personal e-mail: [log in to unmask]

 'Per ardua ad alta'

--On 12 February 1999, 13:23 +0000 "David R. Newman"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Perhaps it helps to think of a university website as a "virtual"
campus.
> There will be groups of pages aimed at particular readers, just like
there
> are different buildings for different purposes.
>
> When a reader moves from an on-line official brochure, to an
electronic
> library, and then onto a virtual student union bar, they should see
> changes in information or visual design that make it clear they have
moved
> from one bit of the university to another.
>
> I happily read the goings-on of student societies in other
universities
> (e.g. the Americans who build enormous potato catapaults :-) without
it
> affecting my view of other parts of those institutions. I expect to
find a
> universe inside each university.
>
> Now exactly how to signal these changes is a matter for good design.

> Perhaps someone will sponsor a university web(sub)site design
competition,
> and an evaluation research project to find the best ways of doing
this.

> A final point. The distinction is between what people are doing
(their
> roles) not their status. In my mind, a student project group's
report has
> the same function as a research report or a lecturer's notes, and
should
> be hosted only a few links away from similar materials (e.g.
> http://www.qub.ac.uk/mgt/itsoc/proj/). This is different to the
personal
> pages of staff or students.
> Dr. D. R. Newman, Queen's University Belfast, Queen's School of
Management,
> BELFAST BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland (UK). http://www.qub.ac.uk/mgt/
> FAX: +44-1232-249881 Tel. +44-1232-335011
mailto:[log in to unmask]