I find it useful to think of this as if it were a print format rather than
Web-based. Some people can use DTP or advanced WP facilities to produce
professional-looking documents; others scribble on a sheet of paper with a
marker pen.
The approach we're adopting here at Bath Spa is to have nominated departmental
"experts", so if anyone wants to publish on the intranet, they take the
material to the local expert, i.e. someone in the same department who's had
some training and knows the basics, and the expert either guides them through
the process or does the whole thing for them.
This cascades technical knowledge and ability down through departments on a
"need to know/want to know" basis. It needs the co-operation of departmental
management but avoids the bottleneck of overstretched web managers trying to
find the time to service half a dozen different demands from half a dozen
different departments ... sound familiar?

Steve

--
Steve Kimberley Web Co-ordinator
Bath Spa University College Bath BA2 9BN UK