On 25 Aug 99, at 15:06, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi Sheila,
>
> Nevertheless, in answer to your Q. it may be possible to use altavista (or
> similar) and restrict the search to your site (If anyone on the list can
> offer advice on setting up a local form to use directly alta vista's advanced
> search?)  Altavista bumps some adverts but at least it has the brand name.

This is what I have done on my website for searches across more
than one of our member institutions.  I have used javascript to
create the query and then pumped it of to AV.  It is unfortunately
transatlantic traffic, but you can configure it to use the low/no
graphics version.
see: http://www.unis4ne.ac.uk/webadmin/search.htm

HTH
David Faulder
David S Faulder, Universities for the North East
(previously HESIN) An association of the Universities of
Durham Newcastle Northumbria Sunderland and Teesside
c/o Stephenson Building Claremont Road
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU United Kingdom
Tel 0191-222 7344 Fax 222 8721 http://www.unis4ne.ac.uk/