On 17 Feb 99 Ralph Weedon said:

> So far (I think) only Nick Stroud has mentioned copyright and other legal
> issues such as defamation ... and that was at the bottom of his list. He
> also mentions an editorial board, which might have a role to play in
> dealing with such issues.
>
> Is copyright and the legal field unimportant? unimportant (relatively
> speaking) to web managers? or is it that they feel it should not be their
> responsibility??

I didn't mention copyright not because I consider it unimportant but
because I don't have a problem with it. And I feel it is very much
part of my responsibility.

Just in case anyone wonders why, the person who gets final control
over putting a piece of content onto either of our big websites is
me. I have worked as an information professional for years and
am in close contact with the person here with ultimate responsibility
for copyright matters. Thus, if ever I see something that I suspect
contravenes copyright law, I follow it up. We have procedures in
place to try and prevent anything getting that far into the system
before being trapped and dealt with. Hence, it is important but not a
problem.

Yes, we have had tough discussions with certain persons about why
what they want to do isn't permitted but we have the law on our side.
Sheila Thomas
work: [log in to unmask]           http://www.twi.co.uk
play:[log in to unmask]     http://www.granta.demon.co.uk

Weldasearch, the Materials Joining Database from TWI -
World Centre for Joining Technology