We use webglimpse,
http://donkey.CS.Arizona.EDU/webglimpse/

http://tucson.com/webglimpse/

which is rather long in the tooth but is being developed (they are
currently writing meta tag indexers for it). Its not as good as ht://dig,
except in some key areas.

ht://dig has some great features, like splitting results into pages, fuzzy
searching and relevance scoring. I've almost decided to use it but at the
mo. I've stuck with webglimpse because
1. it allows you to search subsections of an index by adding a filter
statement. With a large and complex site its much easier to create several
specific search boxes as well as one overall facility.
2. it can jump to the line of HTML containing the word(s)
3. The latest version 1.7.7 can search on fields (eg metatags) but we have
not intalled that as yet.

Just my 2p