On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Richard Tammar wrote:

> I also agree with Colin that sites *should* be optimised for everyone; and
> if I had the resources at my disposal, I would advocate just that!
> Unfortunately I don't and because of this I am willing to compromise on
> style if not accessibility.

This argument crops up every time a new browser is released. I remember
the flame wars about using tables when NS2 came out; the arguments over
background colours in tables when NS3 came out etc.

At the end of the day, if you follow the spec you don't have a problem,
and you don't need to "optimise" your pages. If you ignore the spec,
expect to suffer down the line. It's surprising just how good a site can
look and still validate. People need to get out of the "design for print"
mindset and start writing proper HTML.

Having said all that, I'm just as guilty as the next person for breaking
the spec on occasion ;-)

Andrew.

Web Consultant                             | Email: a.savory at uea.ac.uk
IT and Computing Services                  | URL:   http://www.uea.ac.uk/
University of East Anglia                  | All views are my own -
Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK                       |        who else would want them?