Hi Steve,

We have produced quite a few 3D virtual models at the University of Derby.
In particular, a group of four students in the School of Maths and
Computing have produced a model of a (real) Multi-Faith Centre, which is
being planned for the University.

You are welcome to take a look at:

http://www.multifaithnet.org/mfnopenaccess/junction/mfctour/

The design is quite unusual!

The students used architects' drawings to construct the model in two
stages: first the elements of the structure were formed using 3D Studio Max
and then it was all put together using RealAnimation.  There is a viewer
available which doubles as a plug-in (quite large at 4MB, but with plenty
of functionality).  RealAnimation enables multiple camera views and
fly-throughs, which we didn't really use a great deal.  Rather, we have let
visitors explore by themselves and used a series of inter-connected slides
to help people gain a quick impression.

I wasn't involved in the construction process itself, but it seems to have
gone quite smoothly.  The team split up into four roles: Chair/Graphic
Designer, Project Manager, Graphic Designer, and Human Factors Analysis.
The project ran for a period of about 3 months, with an initial prototype
produced after a little over a month at which stage further refinements
could be suggested.

Staff and students have been impressed with the result, and now we use the
model for presentations at conferences etc, and it is recognised for
generating a useful impression, particularly of the various curves.

The original desire was to use VRML, thereby supporting an international
standard, but its limitations have led to the likes of Superscape.

Our experiences are generally positive, with some drawbacks.  For instance,
the viewer for RealAnimation is currently supported only on Win32 platforms
and more generally, there are few plug-ins for e.g. Linux.  Even so, you
can still provide slides - formed from screenshots, so why not give it a
go?  What would you be designing?

Regards,

Paul

-----------------------------