Replying in one longish go as I get stuff digestified ....

> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:23:59 +0100
> From: Stephen Emmott <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Zope (was Organising Web Publishers)
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> >http://www.egroups.com/list/zope/md359445818.html
>
> >I'm interested to hear of your use of Frontier. I've had the quickest
> >of looks. It is rather Zope-like (but lacks a Web-enabled management
> >front-end as I recall).
>
> Well, it's complete. You can stream content into it and then server to the
> web directly from it or publish flat-file HTML to disk. Frontier 6 is the
> closest I've come to a web-OS (as opposed to a file-OS).

Indeed - I said the same when I first met Zope (I just happened to meet Zope
before Frontier). As I mentioned previously I detect many parallels
in the Zope and Frontier approaches.

Anyone taken a look as CA's Jasmine? Another object database that thinks
it's a file system?? And Oracle8i?

> >Are we all working harder and harder using "orthodox" approaches
> >to managing content and ignoring important new tools that could
> >help us work smarter?
>
> Too true. We're faced with the same problems. What's the next step?

I have high hopes for the September workshop at Goldsmiths!

> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:33:17 +0100 (BST)
> From: Andrew Savory <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Zope (was Organising Web Publishers)
>
> On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Paul Browning wrote:
>
> > I've just done a search of the website-info-mgt archives. "Frontier"
> > gets only one mention (but in an EFF context!) ..... I'm rather suprised.
> > "Vignette" nothing either. "Cold Fusion" 3 hits.
>
> Well, in the interest of statistics and mucking up search engines, I'll
> throw a few in here then - PHP or mod_perl, MySQL or PgSQL. DBI for CGI.
>
> > Are we all working harder and harder using "orthodox" approaches
> > to managing content and ignoring important new tools that could
> > help us work smarter?
>
> Orthodox? I'd like to think my methods are anything but that :-) I'm
> working on the rule at the moment that if it moves, stick it in a
> database. If it doesn't move, stick it in a database.

Yup - I'm coming to that view myself .... or at the very least the
database should contain the pointer to the resource ..... but build
your site around an object database (WebOS?) and not a file system.

> If it won't fit,
> store it as XML somewhere and shove it through templates.
>
> Sadly, I don't think there are tools out there yet to let the "layperson"
> easily do this with their webpages though - frustrating, as they are very
> often the people with the least time who could benefit the most from these
> new methods.

Perhaps Zope/Frontier-like approaches will allow such tools/templates to
be constructed? Here's latest twist to the Zope/XML story:

From: Amos Latteier <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>,
Subject: [Zope] ANNOUNCE: XMLDocument 1.0a1
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:52:46 -0400

I am pleased to announce the first alpha release of XML Document. XML
Document allows you to use xml objects in the Zope environment. You can
create xml documents in Zope and leverage Zope to format, query, and
manipulate xml.

  http://www.zope.org/Download/XMLDocument

[snip]

> I'd be interested to hear experiences with ColdFusion or publishing via
> databases in general.

It's already aged rather quickly (and it betrays some early misunderstandings
I had as I tried to get my brain around "middleware") but the proceedings
of an informal seminar programme held earlier in the year on Web-enabled
databases convened in Bristol can be found at:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/ISC/webdb/webdb.html

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
     E-mail: [log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/