A few observations...

At Essex, most of our restricted access documents are stored on NT web
servers running Internet Information Server (IIS). Initial experiments with
the NTLM authentication access control supported with IIS proved successful,
the only downside being that it only worked with Internet Explorer 3 or
above. We have, therefore, recently bought a SSL server security certificate
from BT Trustwise (www.trustwise.com) for our main IIS server. This will
allow users of most web browsers to gain access to restricted access
resources, and will also allow the encryption of information sent over the
Internet (essential if we are to introduce things like web based email
systems). SSL will also allow us to do something about the increasing number
of requests along the lines of "can you make these web pages only accessible
to 3rd year physics students."

As well as this, we do of course have campus-only sections (using the usual
IP address restrictions). There are also a few department-only sections, but
this can only be done if the machines are all on the same subnet mask/IP
address range.

A few users often request that their pages be password protected. Typically
this is used to stop unauthorised access to collaborative work being carried
out with other institutions (e.g. drafts of papers and other work in
progress). The method used for this is Unix .htaccess files with .htpasswd
files and Basic Authentication. This means that there is no need to set up
new user accounts for these users, and several users can share the same
username/password.

Incidentally, the forthcoming Windows NT Explorer column in Ariadne Issue 21
(published in September 1999 - www.ariadne.ac.uk) will cover Internet
Information Server 4 - and will have a special mention of how to set up a
site using SSL security.

Brett Burridge (Systems Programmer)
Room 5.512, Computing Service, University of Essex, UK.
E.mail: [log in to unmask] Phone: +44(0)1206 873628