OK - here is (after many phone calls and dubious websites)
the definitive answer to what licensing/fees you need to pay
in order to webcast with Real Audio or any other software.
This run down does not include the software licensing or
purchase and not hardware either.

1. The Radio Authority do not care and are not interested
in webcasting. Good.

2. The Performing Rights Society and the MCPS do care and
are interested. Not so good.

a. They can licence you - Good.

b. Only if:
	i) Your webcast is an exact and simultaneous mirror
of your terrestrial broadcast.
	ii) No recording of your broadcasts
	iii) No jukebox / choose which song you want to
hear type functions etc.

c. If your licence is an RSLA with the PRS, they would
probably be seeking 150 - 200 ukp to cover the Web. Yours
may cover it already - do check.

d. If your licence is via the Student Broadcast Network,
then a deal may well be struck this Summer and the PRS
advise holding out until October and taking advantage of
potentially a very good offer.

e. Please note: The PRS and MCPS make no distinction *yet*
between Internet and Intranet therefore - these fees are
payable even if you only broadcast to campus. This will
proabably change in the future.

f. If you use professional commercials or voice-overs,
EQUITY also want a share for its memebrs whose voices you
use, however, EQUITY were of the opinion that a student
radio station broadcasting only its own programmes would
not need to worry.

Best wishes

Miles

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:47:09 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
"David R. Newman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:21:05 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time) "Miles E.C. Banbery"
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > I meant to say that current licenses do *not* cover
> > webcasting - hence the ambiguity.
>
> I think you answered your own question. Broadcasting licences are set out
> to ration the radio spectrum. They have nothing at all to do with Internet
> use (except when IP is being sent over packet radio). You do not need a
> licence to publish video or audio files on the Internet, whatever protocol
> you use (ftp, http, rtsp, ...).
>
> I would have thought that the JANET acceptable use regulations are the
> ones that control whether a student radio station can make Real Audio
> streams available from an ac.uk site.
>
> It is extremely common for US University student radio stations to offer a
> Real Audio feed. When there is too much demand to be delivered from their
> site, they arrange for commercial hosting of their streams (often paid by
> advertising). Try searching for college radio on any of the Real Networks
> directories.

> Dr. D. R. Newman, Queen's University Belfast, Queen's School of Management,
> BELFAST BT7 1NN, Northern Ireland (UK). http://www.qub.ac.uk/mgt/
> FAX: +44-1232-249881 Tel. +44-1232-335011 mailto:[log in to unmask]

Miles E.C. Banbery, University Web Editor
Communications & Development Office and Education Support Services
G1, The Registry, The University, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF.
Tel. 01227 827767, Fax. 01227 764464