> Traffic wins. Traffic means dollars. Traffic, on-line, is the reward.

Too simple an arguement as is the assumption (applied widely) that
quantity of hits are the criteria for success. I don't think you can
assume to know what benefits LT are seeking - it could, for example,
be to educate people on making the best use of transport by using
bus in combination with underground - so a link straight through to the map
misses the point and serves to re-enforce old habits.

OK, the example is strained, but I'm sure we've all seen complaints from
users about a site which didn't work for them when the site was actually
designed for another purpose. Who is being unreasonable - the user who
thinks every site should meet their individual needs or the web manager
who designs a site to meet a specific (but perhaps limited) requirement?

Bottom line - the logical extension of some of the arguements in this
discussion are that site managers must adapt to the will of anyone who
happens to click on in. I don't think this is really what we want is it?

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work
Computing Services