> At York we are in the process of moving personal web pages onto a separate
> server, www-users.york, the aim being to make a clearer distinction
> between official information and personal information.
>
> Does anyone else do this? How else do institutions approach this issue?
>
> Kriss

We have a server at www.personal.leeds.ac.uk specifically so users
can create their own personal pages. A set of guidelines tells them
what they should not do, and for students these guidelines are
brought to their attention at registration time and also posted
up in computer labs. Of note we do not allow this 'personal' space
to be used for other purposes, e.g. departmental pages, as these
go on our main server or departmental ones. We also do not allow
people to use the logo or university name on their pages, i.e. they
must not make them look at all 'official'. (one or two creep in from
time to time!)

We use the '~' mechanism so users simply create their web pages
and www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~TheirUserid will get to them. This
means very little admin overhead. However, in our setup, not all
users have usernames on this 'personal page' server, so not everyone
can have a personal page. But with the likes of Freeserve we don't
find this a major problem.

There isn't an index of personal pages (though I'll get round to
it eventually :)

Some of our departments running their own servers also provide space
for personal pages for their staff, and we do not prevent this.

Jeremy M. Harmer
WWW Development Manager
University of Leeds