Very much on the technical side, but I hope this list finds
this of some use.  On a side issue, people keep using
platform-specific fonts and not specifying a generic font.
Generic font names are serif, sans-serif, cursive, monospace,
and fantasy.  You can specify these as the last in your list,
eg FACE="Comic Sans,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif", and try to
ensure we don't see your page in Courier...

--- Begin forwarded message from [uksu-www] ---

I am seeing ? where there should be a ' or " far too often.
Please pass the following to people writing webpages in your
local area...

>From slashdot:

Demoronizer is a Perl program which corrects numerous errors
         and incompatibilities in HTML generated by, or edited
         with, Microsoft applications. The demoroniser keeps
         you from looking dumber than a bag of dirt when your
         Web page is viewed by a user on a non-Microsoft
         platform. A little detective work revealed that, as is
         usually the case when you encounter something shoddy
         in the vicinity of a computer, Microsoft incompetence
         and gratuitous incompatibility were to blame. Western
         language HTML documents are written in the ISO 8859-1
         Latin-1 character set, with a specified set of escapes
         for special characters. Blithely ignoring this
         prescription, as usual, Microsoft use their own
         "extension" to Latin-1, in which a variety of
         characters which do not appear in Latin-1 are inserted
         in the range 0x82 through 0x95--this having the merit
         of being incompatible with both Latin-1 and Unicode,
         which reserve this region for additional control
         characters.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser

--
| M J Ray   http://www.stu.uea.ac.uk/ | www.stu.uea.ac.uk/cool/ |