In message <Pine.SOL.3.91.990305162231.17581C-100000@leopard>, Peter
White <[log in to unmask]> writes
> Having done so, I presume that the location with the
>sharp curve to which he refers is that near the Lloyd Park stop
>on the New Addington branch, where the new line joins the old Woodside
>railway alignment, next to which some new housing has been built.
Exactly so.

>The 'continuous gradient' (1 in 12) is found some distance east of the
>curve, with a section of approximately 400-500 metres of level track
>before the curve is reached.
Not so.  In fact, the part you referred to is extremely steep for a rail
line.  Most of the part I described, all the way to the bend in
question, is actually a downgrade, although obviously not so steep.
Trains (and trams) run a very long way on inertia (but then, you known
that)
> Regarding braking systems, the cars have
>rheostatic braking as well as regenerative (i.e. power can be absorbed on
>the car itself)
Wrong!  As I understand the system, the energy is absorbed by the fixed
power system, including cooling stations trackside where necessary.
Regen braking is often quoted as a sustainable mechanism (re-using the
recycled energy.  In this case not.  And anyway, in a general vehicle
control system failure or driver collapse, this would not apply.
>, together with spring-loaded disc brakes. In addition,
>the fourth braking system (electromagnetic track brakes) is fed from the
>electric motors and not the overhead, thus being effective down to very
>low speed. The emergency deceleration rate is 3 metres/s/s. Under these
>conditions, I see little reason for concern.
Yes, but you neither live in the nearby house nor have to ride the
trams!

>The Railway Inspectorate of HSE apply very strict standards to all new
>light rail schemes, and it would be very surprising if they were to approve
>an installation which was unsafe. A useful description of their role may
>be found in recent articles in 'Tramways & Urban Transit' by Major 'Kit'
>Holden.
I hope they do.  In this case, all that is needed is a VERY solid
concrete catch fence around the outside of the bend, to protect both
residents and passengers.  The only problem is that the system opens in
November!

>Given the relative safety record of rail and road systems, surely the
>latter should be Mr Brooks' main concern?

>From another message received recently (I was unaware of this incident
before)....

In Gothenburg there was an very bad accident about 5-6 years ago where a
tram set was runing backwords down hill.The trams derailed in the
smalest curve on the system (radius about 17 meters). The tram ended in
a house and damage som windows. The worst thing was that about 10
persons waiting at a tram stop was killed by the tram. This tram set was
runing downhill for about 1 km (gradient about 6-8% all the way) and had
a maximum speed of about 60-70 km/h when derailing. In this case the
breakes was manually released (the driver can't do this, only servce
staff) against all roles!

--
John Brooks  -  Consultant in Data Communications, Networking and Energy Systems
South Croydon, 7,CR2 7HN, UK Tel: (44) 181 681 1595 Fax: (44) 181 649 7536