 I posted the following query about aquatic sediment standards in
November 1998 and received a number of helpful replies from list
members which are summarised below.

 Does anyone
> have any information on critical thresholds of metals and nitrogen
> and phosphorus in aquatic sediments, similar to the trigger limits
> for contaminated soils? I am particularly interested in nitrogen and
> phosphorus, zinc, copper, chromium, lead, nickel and cadmium. Also,
> do separate standards exist for total and extractable/bioavailable
> nutrients and metals?

1)  Greg Morrison, Professor, Department of Sanitary Engineering,
Chalmers University of Technology, SE-412 96 Goeteborg, Sweden
replied that he has done a fair amount of research on metals
and speciation in aquatic
> sediments. There are values available from the Swedish EPA
> (Environmental Protection Agency) for threshold values/background
> values which relate to total concentrations. They are based on a
> large number of analyses through Sweden.

2)   Jonas German M.Sc. Department of sanitary engineering
Chalmers University of technology S-412 96 Goeteborg Sweden
tel: +46 31 772 2171     fax: +46 31 772 2128
 e-mail:
http://www.sani.chalmers.se/

Sent me values for
 "natural" background levels in aquatic sediments in Sweden published
by the Swedish EPA in the report:

Quality criteria for lakes and watercourses : a system
for classification of water chemistry and sediment and organism
metal concentrations. Publisher:  Swedish Environmental Protection
Agency [Statens naturvardsverk]. 1991.  Pages:  32.
 ISBN:  91-620-1107-3

Very low levels (background level) is:
Cd: <0.2 mg/kg dry wt
Pb: <5 mg/kg dry wt
Cu: <10 mg/kg dry wt
Cr: <10 mg/kg dry wt
 Ni: <10 mg/kg dry wt
Zn: <70 mg/kg dry wt

> Low levels:
> Cd: 0.2-0.7 mg/kg dry wt
> Pb: 5-30 mg/kg dry wt
> Cu: 10-25 mg/kg dry wt
> Cr: 10-25 mg/kg dry wt
> Ni: 10-30 mg/kg dry wt
> Zn: 70-175 mg/kg dry wt
>
> "moderate high levels"
> Cd: 0.7-2.0 mg/kg dry wt
> Pb: 30-100 mg/kg dry wt
> Cu: 25-50 mg/kg dry wt
> Cr: 25-75 mg/kg dry wt
> Ni: 30-75 mg/kg dry wt
> Zn: 175-300 mg/kg dry wt
>
> high levels
> Cd: 2-5 mg/kg dry wt
> Pb: 100-400 mg/kg dry wt
> Cu: 50-150 mg/kg dry wt
> Cr: 75-300 mg/kg dry wt
> Ni: 75-300 mg/kg dry wt
> Zn: 300-1000 mg/kg dry wt
>
> very high levels
> Cd: >5 mg/kg dry wt
> Pb: >400 mg/kg dry wt
> Cu: >150mg/kg dry wt
> Cr: >300 mg/kg dry wt
> Ni: >300 mg/kg dry wt
> Zn: >1000 mg/kg dry wt

3) Rob Flindall ([log in to unmask]) in Ontario, canada, sent me
copies of 2 Ontario reports:

Guidelines for the protection and Management of Aquatic Sediment
Quality in Ontario. August 1993. Ontario Ministry of Environment and
Energy. ISBN: 0-7729-9248-7.

An Integrated Approach to the Evaluation and Management of
Contaminted Sediments. June 1995. Report prepared by R. Jaagumagi &
D. Persaud, Ontario Ministry of Environment and Energy. ISBN:
0-7778-3845-1.

4)  Karen Anne Riley, P.E., L.S.
Department of Civil & Architectural Engineering, 3141 Chestnut
Street, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104

recommended the following references:

 Sartor, James  D. and Boyd Gail B. (1972).  Water Pollution Aspects
of Street Surface Contaminants.  EPA-R2-72-081.  US Environmental
> Protection Agency, Office of Research and Monitoring, Washington,
> DC.
>
> Shaheen, Donald G.  (1975).   Contributions of Urban Roadway Usage
> to Water Pollution.   EPA Report 600/2-75-004.  Office of Research
> and Development, USEnvironmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
>
> Sartor discusses nitrates, phophates and bacteria.  Shaheen
> discusses stream bottom sampling.  They both have appropriate
> references, but they are getting quite old.

> Pitt, Robert and Bozeman, Martin.  (1982).  Sources of Urban Runoff
> Pollution and its Effects on an Urban Creek.   EPA 600/2-82-090.
> Municipal Environmental Research Laboratory,  Office of Reserch and
> Development, Cincinnati, Ohio.

 This article dicusses solubility, aquatic biota and algae.

Kate Heal
Dr Kate Heal
Institute of Ecology & Resource Management
The University of Edinburgh
Darwin Building
Mayfield Road
Edinburgh EH9 3JU