With colleagues, I am in the early stages of developing a strategic plan
for training and development.  This is intended to cover all aspects of
training and development for all staff, and will complement the Teaching
and Learning Strategy which is also being developed.  The Staff Development
and Training Unit already has a mission statement and policy, but these are
rather bland (I can send a copy if anyone is interested).  A number of
separate units have a responsibility for some aspects of training - IT,
Safety, the Medical School, etc., and it is likely that, once the
overarching institutional strategic plan is in place, we will work up our
own strategies for implementation, collaborating as much as possibles.
(There has already been debate on the differences between a policy, a
strategy, and a strategic plan).

I imagine that many of you are way ahead of us in this, but on the other
hand some may just be thinking about it.  If anyone has produced a plan of
this kind, or is working towards it, would you be willing to share ideas,
issues, tips, etc.?  For example, how far did you try to guess the future
shape of HE, how much detail did you go into, did you set goals, targets,
etc.  How much research did you do into the current state of play?

If there are people who are at the same stage as UCL who would like to
discuss some of these issues, I could try to arrange a meeting in London
this summer.