Dear Stan & Darren,

I'm afraid I don't have any definitive solution to contribute, but I think
there may be two separate problems here:

1. Generating corrected p values for some contrast in a small volume defined
by a 'localiser' in a separate scanning session within a single subject

2. Generating some group statistic for activation in such a 'localiser'
defined area, where the 'localised' area may be spatially variable across
subjects.

The first problem is addressed by the SPM99b Small Volume Correction button
as Darren suggests, using an image defined by the localiser. But I believe
that it is the second problem that is at the heart of Nancy K style
analyses, and that would seem more difficult. My understanding of the
argument is that because the position of the 'ffa' is highly variable across
subjects, then it may be most powerful to define the area within individual
subjects, extract signal and then average in a spatial-location invariant
way. In other words, any averaging is across functionally homologous (rather
than anatomically homologous) areas. This seems orthogonal to the SPM
philosophy, which is voxel based! Moreover it seems that any advantage this
method might have is highly dependent on how variable the spatial location
of some functionally defined area might be across subjects.

It would be presumably possible to effect a simple analysis of this type by
extracting signal from individual subjects, then effecting a sort of
one-voxel random-fx analysis on the raw timecourses within MATLAB. But this
doesn't seem either elegant or intrinsically more powerful than a fixed
effects conventional SPM analysis. Any comments?!

best wishes,

Geraint

Dr. Geraint Rees
Wellcome Advanced Fellow,