Thanks for the reply, Karl.  That was very helpful.

I re-looked at our data to check on the question of volume and it
raised new questions to my mind.  I think, perhaps, I'm missing
something rather basic...

The volumes in our PET and fMRI data are different but they seem to
vary with the smoothing I applied.  For instance, I smoothed both data
sets at 8, 12, and 16mm.  The search volumes (in voxels) are displayed
below:

	PET		fMRI
8mm 	187833		208800
12mm	213866		213245
16mm	237025		217173

(all voxels were isotropic 2mm^3).  To me it seems like the
differences in volume were small which would make pretty good sense --
in both our PET and fMRI scanners we tried to acquire whole brain
images with approx ~15cm FOV.

What's odd, though, is that the calculated FWHM smoothness of our data
(in mm) are:

	PET			fMRI
8mm	8.0  9.4  10.8 		15.8 14.9 10.7
12mm	11.0 13.0 14.7		22.7 20.9 13.8
16mm	14.5 17.1 19.1		23.5 21.9 15.5

Am I correct in reading these values as indicating that the fMRI data
was smoother than the PET data?

					- Joe