Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:

> Dear spm list
>
> we are thinking of buying a high performance PC (450 MHz, 512 Mb of RAM)
> implementing linux to run spm.  Does anybody know how such a choice would
> compare in terms of efficiency and speed (in terms of costs it's quite
> clear...) with respect to a commonly used workstation (SUN, SGI) for SPM
> processing?
>
> thanks!
>
> bests
>             Giuseppe

We did a head-to-head comparison of:
PC (PII 350 MHz, 256 MB RAM, running FreeBSD)
vs.
Sun Ultra 10 (320 MB RAM)

doing a typical SPM of a PET dataset.

Guess what?  The PC was faster by a factor of 2.
Note that you will have to do a bit of hacking to get matlab and spm
working properly under Linux, though several listmembers have done so.
We went with FreeBSD because it's apparently a bit faster for
networking.  FreeBSD has a perfectly good Linux emulator, and I
run the Linux version of Matlab with all the mexlx files for spm.

Greg Berns
Emory University School of Medicine