Hi Joe:

A method for combining several individual Z-score
maps to create a
group statistical map is described in:

Clark VP, Maisog JM, Haxby JV. fMRI Study of Face
Perception and Memory Using Random
Stimulus Sequences. J. Neurophysiology
79:3257-3265, 1998

The authors make use of fact that the sum of
squared Z score values has
been shown to have a chi-square distribution. For
more information on that
derivation see:

Hugill, MJ. Advanced Statistics. London: Bell and
Hyman, 1985.

Tim

--
Timothy M. Ellmore