SPMers:
I am quite new to SPM, and have just started running some data.  The
first few runs went well (running SPM under Matlab 4.2 on a Sun Ultra 10
running Solaris).  However, I just tried running new data and got an
error message when running Realign (including with  just coregister
only).  The errors messages, which repeat multiple times per volume in
the Matlab window, read as follows:

"Warning:  Rank deficient, rank = 4   tol = 2.1207e-07"

The data consist of 48 volumes of 12 128x128 slices each acquired from a
Siemens Vision magnet.  The 576 dicom images were imported into Analyze,
which flipped the z access to SPM orientation and wrote out one large
(576 slice) .img/.hdr volume.  I then changed the header file to read 12
slices (height=128, width=128, depth=12, volume=1) and ran a short
program provided on this listserver to generate the 48 separate volumes
of 12 slices each.  I used this method successfully on a previous data
set, but to no avail with the most recent set (acquired in the same
format, same size, and from the same magnet).

Each of the 48 files (xxx.img and xxx.hdr) can be read and displayed in
SPM OK, and the header info for each shows the correct 128 x 128 x 12
matrix.  However, the error messages are generated when the files are
coregistered.  It sounds like I'm getting a matrix of insufficient rank
somewhere in the data;  what are ranks to which SPM refers?  Are they
based on the X x Y x Z header info?  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ken