If the spatial normalization has too much freedom in the distortions that it
can estimate, then there is more chance of things going wrong.  What you could
do is either reduce the number of nonlinear basis functions that you are
using (or restrict the registration to an affine transformation) or try
increasing the amount of regularization by typing something like:
	global sptl_Rglrztn
	sptl_Rglrztn = 0.001;
before running the spatial normalization.  For SPM96, decreasing the value
of the global variable sptl_Rglrztn will mean that less variability is
allowed in the deformations.

Something else that I might suggest is that you create your own template
image so that the contrast in the template image is the same as that in
the images you wish to normalize.  This can improve matters considerably.

Regards,
-John