Dear Stephen,

> I have a group of subjects who have been scanned on two occasions, once
> in the presence of drug and once on placebo (double-blind). On each
> occasion they are performing a task. I want to explore the interaction
> of drug with task in SPM99b but want to set up the design so that the
> analysis reflects that these are the same individuals acting as their
> own controls. In the multi-group conditions and covariates design, I
> don't seem to be able to set this up. Is there another way of setting
> up the design?

There is no need to do this.  By setting up a design "so that the
analysis reflects that these are the same individuals acting as their
own controls" simply means modelling subject-specific effects as a
nuisance variable.  However the design you are already using does this
by modelling session and subject effects (not only are you modelling
subject-specfic effects but also session-specfic effects).

If you wanted a more parsimonious model, that discounted session
effects (i.e. a mean effect of being brought back for the second
activation study) then simply use multi-subject model with four
conditions (the four cells of your psychopharmacological factorial
design).

I hope this helps - Karl