Dear Elton,

At 15:55 22/01/99 -0800, Elton Ngan wrote:
| I probably should have added that we have 18 subjects per group
| (therefore the divide by zero error is not the result of insufficient #
| of scans - 3 parameters, having 2 degrees of freedom, giving 34 residual
| df (36 scans))

Indeed the "Compare groups: 1 scan per subject" design in SPM96 doesn't
offer the option of including a covariate. Attempting to use the
"MultiStudy" designs gets you into problems, as you found. In your case the
contrasts you entered are illegal for a normal multi-study design with
repeated measurements, and SPM discards them, leaving you with no contrasts!

You can get round this in two ways: You can edit spm_spm_ui.m to ask you
for covariates, by changing last line of the "DesDefaults" matrix on line
103 (spm_spm_ui.m v1.15.1.2) so that the sixth element (bAskCov) is 1
rather than 0, so the line becomes:
1,      1,      0,      0,      6,      1,      0,      123     ];      %-4

Alternatively (& easier), use the "Single-subject: conditions and
covariates" design. Choose two conditions, corresponding to the two groups.
Read group for "condition" when prompted to enter scans. (Note that the
Compare groups: 1 scan per subject" design is almost the same as using the
"Single-subject: conditions only design, except that the opton of grand
mean scaling by group is offered in the former.)

Note that if there is a marked difference in the average age between the
two groups, i.e. if the covariate is correlated with group membership, then
the group and covariate effects are confounded. In this case you must
interpret the effect of either with caution, preferably including plots.

Hope this helps,

-andrew

+- Dr Andrew Holmes ------------------ mailto:[log in to unmask] -+
|  ___   __  ___ Robertson Centre for Biostatistics                   |
| (  ,) / _)(  ,)    Boyd Orr Building,                               |
|  )  \( (_  ) ,\    University Avenue,                               |
| (_)\_)\__)(___/    Glasgow. G12 8QQ  Scotland, UK.                  |