Hello  Mark
According to Karl, the following heuristic can be applied.
The threshold you need to chose for each subject (Pc) should equal the
threshold you want for the conjunction (Pw), when Pc is raised to the power
of n.

So if the uncorrected threshold you want for the conjunction is p<0.001
then the threshold for each subject is 0.4217 for 8 subjects (approximately
what you used)
and 0.1778 for 4 subjects (higher than you used).

i.e.
>> 0.001^(1/4) = 0.1778

Hopefully this stricter threshold with the lower P value will give you more
sensible results
for the n=4 group.
Cathy