> From [log in to unmask] Tue Apr  6 18:43:08 1999
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:44:39 -0500 (CDT)
Dear Leann,

> I still have not heard back from anyone regarding my message from March
> 30, so I thought I would reiterate my problem and ask if anyone else
> has ever tried viewing the images which SPM performs its statistics on
> and whether or not they found the same random patterns of zeros as I
> did.  I tried for the first time recently to use the "generate
> normalized image data" option in SPM which should allow me to generate
> and save the images resulting from the application of the global
> normalization, scaling and gray matter threshold (in the statistics
> portion of SPM). I used a multi-subject, different conditions (PET)
> design type with 6 subjects and 2 conditions each (a drug and a
> placebo). I used proportional scaling with a gray matter threshold of
> 0.8 and an uncorrected F threshold of 0.99.
> Upon viewing the resulting PET images, I discovered that they showed a
> random pattern of voxels throughout the brain with values of zero,
> having no relation to white or gray matter areas. These patterns were
> the same for every one of the images generated (even across subjects).
> The realigned, normalized and smoothed (at FWHM of 12x12x12) PET images
> I entered into my design matrix had no such pattern/problem. Once again
> I ask if anyone has observed such a phenomenon before and whether
> anyone would know the cause. I am concerned as I am not sure why such
> patterns would be generated and how SPM statistics would handle these
> random zeros when performing its analyses.  I would be more than happy
> to ftp my pre and/or post statistical analysis images to anyone who
> would be willing to take a look at them.

I have to confess I am not sure what the "generate normalized image
data" option is.  I cannot find this option in SPM96.

It may simply reflect the omission of voxels that fail to reach the low
F threshold specified by p = 0.99.  SPM96 and previous versions only
retains voxels at which the F value was significant.  SPM99 includes
all [intracranial] voxels.

With best wishes - Karl