Dear SPMers,

I have some questions about realignment in SPM96.
According to John Ashberner's suggestions given in last June (please see
below), when I realign PET images in SPM96, I do it twice. But I am a bit
confused by *.mat files generated in realignment procedure.

When I do the 1st realignment, I choose:
1) Coregister and reslice
2) Sinc interpolation
3) Mean images only
4) Mask the images

The results I get are: mean*01.img(hdr) and a set of *.mat files.

Then I go to the 2nd realignment by using mean*01.img(hdr) and the
original pet images *.img(hdr):
1) Coregister and reslice
2) Sinc interpolation
3) All images + Mean image
4) Mask the images

This time the results I get are: meanmean*01.img(hdr), a set of
r*.img(hdr) and a new set of *.mat files.

In spm_realign.m, there is one sentence as follows:
"Note that if the coregistration is performed more than once on the
unresliced data, the starting estimates are obtained from parameters
stored in the '*.mat' files."

In my case, the coregistration is performed twice on the unresliced data
(because the 2nd realignment also uses the original image sets), so the
*.mat files obtained from the 2nd realignment are based on the *.mat files
from the 1st realignment?? But the 2nd realignment also uses the original
pet images with a reference (mean*01.img) different from the 1st one's
(*01.img), why need the starting estimates of the 2nd realignment to be
obtained from '*.mat' files generated by the 1st realignment?

For some reason, for some data set, before I do the 2nd realignment, I
delete the '*.mat' files obtained from the 1st realignment, would this
action affect the resulting r*.img(hdr) files and meanmean*01.img(hdr)??
And how much is it do you think?

The generation of '*.mat' files is a new feature in SPM96. From SPM96 help
I know that it is not necessary to get r*.img(hdr) images before the
spatial normalisation stage. Could you tell me how to use '*.mat' files
during the spatial normalisation? What should I pay attention to when I do
this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ning Ma
Functional Imaging Lab