APOLOGIES FOR ANY CROSS-POSTINGS.................................

A gentle reminder of the following event.........

	A One-Day Working Symposium on
Groupwork, Communications, IT and Learning

Friday 23 April, 1999 10:30am - 4:30pm
at London Guildhall University,
84 Moorgate, London EC2 (nearest tube is Moorgate)
This is a very exciting time for those who enjoy trying to apply the new
technologies to learning.  Sometimes it feels as though the technical
advances are racing ahead of our teaching skills - at other times we can
see opportunities which take our breath away.  On a project as large
as this, the higher education community is collaborating in powerful and
novel ways.  In Educational and Staff Development at London Guildhall we
have been exploring some crucial areas, and we invite you to join us in a
symposium on our work in progress. These are -

- DeLiberations (on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education) - a website
sponsored by eLib, to link the four communities - academics concerned with
educational change, librarians, computer services staff and educational
developers.

- The Fax Project, sponsored by BT, exploring how this more traditional
technology could support an expansion in student group work within a
semesterised, modularised, city centre university.

- Scholarly Communication, a research project sponsored by eLib into how
different academic communities are using new technologies to support their
communication frameworks and networks.

- Peer Support, sponsored by the Sir John Cass Foundation, a project to
incorporate the very powerful educational principles of a student mentoring
scheme into the University and which has developed and expanded with the
use of voicemail, e-mail and the web.

This event will be a mixture of  presentations and working groups to
discuss and further develop the issues.  Further information and advance
papers will be posted on DeLiberations (www.lgu.ac.uk/deliberations), as
will a summary of the discussions.
The cost of the day will be £50 including morning coffee/tea, lunch
and afternoon tea.

To reserve your place please contact:

****  Helen Downes, Symposium Administrator:
****  Telephone/voicemail:  0171 320 3151
****  Fax:  0171 320 3150
****  E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

stating your name, institution, address and any dietary requirements.  A
map showing the location together with an invoice will be forwarded in due
course.