No, Michael I am NOT one of Thatcher's children - I have never voted
conservative in my life, was born in 1946 and was as much a 60s
person as you!

Big salaries certainly were unfashionable then and money never
crossed my mind when I went into science in 1965.  My
decision, like others', was because of interest in the subject and
idealism.  However, talking now to non-scientific friends and my
children's friends, as well as reading the press, suggest to me
that people see it differently now.  Perhaps people's perception of
the down side of science is more influential now than idealism about
its benefits.