James, I am sorry but this is so hard to read it is too small.... Hope you don't mind me telling you .... Julie in Adelaide--- Original Message -----
  From: James Fussell
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 9:59 AM
  Subject: Ochre

  In response to Keith Ramsey' s query datelined 16.11.99, 20:27: reddle was, I believe, a mixture of red ochre (as mined at Winford south of Bristol and Wick north of Bristol and on a smaller scale elsewhere in the area) as the pigment and clay used as a binder. I haven't anything specific about working on Worlebury Hill at Milton but it's quite plausible - what is the source of your information?

  Bernard - are you sure you're not confusing red and yellow ochre with something like realgar and orpiment - which are also red and yellow but are arsenic sulphides rather than (essentially) hydrated iron oxides? I have never heard of the ochres being poisonous - in fact they can add a rather pleasant somewhat nutty texture to bars of chocolate. However, I am always ready to learn. Where does your information come from? Also I don't quite see the relevance of lead and mercury with their well documented unpleasant effects on the human (and quite possibly vulpine) body. No doubt an excess of iron is not good for one, but it's certainly not in the same league as lead, mercury and other nasties. Those two are cumulative - the body has difficulty getting rid of them and they build up, while iron can be excreted quite satisfactorily so far as I am aware. Did you know that lead acetate (or should that be lead ethanoate now?) was known as sugar of lead on account of its sweet taste? Not recommended for addition to tea and coffee though. Unless someone else is drinking it and ulterior motives are floating around.

  Regards

  James