The following Inventory has been transcribed from a document in the Gloucester Record Office.  It dates from 1789 and is believed to relate to the Old Engine Works in Cromhall (South Gloucestershire)

The document is hand written and difficult to read.  The following is our best guess (!!).  Some of the terms may however be wrong and many refer to items I have never heard of.

Any comments, particularly regarding items in brackets (which are the least clear) would be appreciated.

DAVID HARDWICK

Impliments belonging to Cromhall Coleiory in the County of Gloucester March 4th 1789

1

Steam Engine with its Members and appurtenances

£

420

0

0

1

Capston Rope valued at

3

3

0

6

Large Gin ditto

6

0

0

2

Small Reel ditto

0

10

0

3

Gins & appurtenances ditto

18

0

0

2

Reels with Arms (Standers Leegers and Burges and 1 small reel with 2 Necks)

2

0

0

16

Fathom air pipes and sundory pieces of saw’d timber & board

5

0

0

23

Coal Carts with Iron (Bows)

3

0

0

21

Cart (shoes) new

0

10

0

2

Sinking Carts with Iron (Bows)

0

6

0

2

Small Water Buckets with Iron (Cotterels)

0

12

0

2

Water (Jailors)

0

12

0

11

Coal Mattocks

0

7

4

3

Sinking ditto & 1 Pick Ax

0

4

0

2

Filling Shovels

0

10

0

4

Small ditto

0

4

0

1

(spitt) ditto

0

3

0

3

Coal Bushel Measures

0

15

0

1

Half Bushel ditto

0

3

0

1

Brown Gelding & 1 Black Blind Mare

4

4

0

1

Two wheel cart

2

0

0

3

Pair (treases backbands and heames’s)

1

16

0

469

19

4

£

1

Cart Sadle (Breeching) & (heames’s)

1

1

0

and Horse Collors

0

4

6

2

New pair iron’d Hames’s

0

8

0

1

Wheel Barrow

0

6

0

10

Old Water Buckets

4

10

0

6

Old Coal Carts

1

0

0

3

Broad rein blind Holters

0

10

6

3

Head Stall Holters

0

6

0

15

Steel’d borares 3 Rammers 4 kneedles 2 Scrapers

0

18

0

2

Hamers for boring

0

1

6

21

foot boreing rods

1

0

0

1

Smiths Bellows

1

10

0

1

Ditto Anvil

1

10

0

1

Ditto (Bickiron)

0

15

0

1

Large vise

1

10

0

1

Small ditto

0

6

0

16

Ditto Tonge’s, 1 Poker 1Slice

1

4

0

12

Ditto Hammers

0

12

0

3

Ditto Sledges

0

5

0

1

Ditto punching Engine for y Boiler

2

0

0

1

Ditto Shoeing Box Hamer and (?)

0

2

6

50

Ditto drift irons

And punching irons and wedges

2

10

0

8

Ditto (Rubers) and files

0

6

0

1

(Bittle) & 2 Wedges

0

2

6

This line Crossed out

1

Grind stone with a frame and handle

0

10

0

2

Timber axes or hatchets

0

3

6

2

Drawing knives

0

2

0

493

13

4

1

Pair stockes with 3 taps and screw plate with 4 taps and 1 standing stock

3

3

0

1

Smiths (Towel) rote iron new

0

4

0

1

Candle Chest and one nail box

0

6

0

Large and 1 small iron (leadles)

0

1

6

5

Different Size Barrows

0

4

0

3

Powder Hornes

0

1

0

3

Smiths Sledges

0

6

0

3

Dividers

0

2

0

2

Drill Throughs

0

3

6

1

Screw jack

1

1

0

13

                                                         T Q lb

Small Boiler plates now 10 about 2-2-0

3

3

0

1

Hand saw

0

2

6

4

Half Hd wt cast iron with (binges)

1

1

0

£

503

11

10

8

Spring (crooks)

0

12

0

3

Fire grates

0

7

6

2

(Chermers)

0

10

0

1

Smiths Square

0

1

0

7

Different size spanniers

0

10

0

142

Large and small different size cast iron single links N. 142 with 83 ditto. rote Iron pins N.66

4

0

0

1

Fire Scraper & 1 Fire Tickler

0

5

0

£

509

17

4

March 4 1789 Rob Baylis

Transcribed from Document in Gloucester Records Office by D Hardwick