There is a Thomas Weaver who is the author"Mr Weaver's Geological Observationson Part of Gloucestershire and Somersetshire" which appears as part of the Transactions for the Geological Society of London - Paper read 4 June 1819.

This refers to the mines at Cromhall. hence my interest.

I have no idea whether this is any connection to the Thomas Weaver you refer to but would be interested to know if anybody can shed any light on who he is.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Roger Gosling <[log in to unmask]>
    To: mininghistlist <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: 17 July 1999 20:41
    Subject: HAWKINS, HODGSON, JEFFERIES & WEAVER - Miners in Avoca

    A group of local people living in Avoca, Co Wicklow, Eire are trying to research where some of the miners in that area came from and later moved on to. Does anyone have information on any of the following people or can you suggest lines of research or records to investigate? Any information can be sent to me by e-mail or direct to Marie Merrigan, Ballymoneen, Avoca, Co. Wicklow, Eire by post.

    There was a Mine Directors meeting at Cronebane Mine in East Avoca on 7th November 1798 which was attended by

    Edward HAWKINS, Macclesfield

    Bryan HODGSON, Craigmarsh

    John JEFFERIES, Gloucester

    Robert HODGSON, Congleton

    Thomas WEAVER, Gloucester

    They are also looking for a Henry HODGSON who developed the mine at West Avoca, the mineral tramway, the Arklow harbour and a chemical and manure works at Arklow. He was born on 6th January 1796, but his place of birth is not yet known and it is believed he went to Avoca around 1820. It is not yet proved if he was related to the above mentioned HODGSONs.

    Local knowledge in Avoca suggests that about fifty miners emigrated to Clithermoor (spelling may be incorrect) in Cumbria about 1860. Does anyone have any information about miners from Ireland coming into Cumbria about that time?

    Roger Gosling