At 09:24 10/05/99 +0200, Harald wrote:

(snipped)

>> I have never heard of a Malakoff tower.
>
>No wonder, I misspelled it :-)
>The correct spelling is Malakow (according to my sources).
>I have been browsing my literature last weekend and found
>some information about Malakow towers. May be, it's of interest?
>
>Malakow towers have been invented in the mid 18ies.
>The word Malakow-Turm (tower) has been a term of colloquial
>language in the beginning, because the towers resembled
>the towers of fortresses. The word is derived from Fort Malakow
>in Sewastopol which became quite famous because of a battle during
>the Krim war in that time. It has even been mentioned by Tolstoi.
>(Although the tower of fort Malakow has been a round tower, which
>was much smaller than the Malakow towers in mining.)
>Later, in about 1900, the 'Malakow-Turm' became part of the
>technical terminology too.
>Most Malakow towers are constructed from brickwork with very
>strong walls often with battlements.
>
>Let me give a few examples:
>(Name of mine, location, approx. date of construction)
>- Viktoria, Essen (Ruhr area)  1837
>- Eschweiler Reserve, Eschweiler, 1856
>- Constantin, Bochum, 1850
>
>examples of existing ones are:
>- Rheinpreussen, Duisburg Moers, 1875 originally with 2 Malakow towers
>  one of them only partly preserved
>- Carl, Essen, 1856
>- Hannover, Bochum
>- Atsch, Stolberg (near Aachen) , 1845, one of the oldest M.T's has been
>  converted into a residential building
>
>> Is this some kind of Koepe system
>> where the winder is mounted over the shaft on top of the headframe?
>>

>No, the Koepe system has been invented later.
>You probably mean what is called 'Foerderturm' in German language.
>(German language makes a decision between 'Foerdergeruest', a
>construction
>with a vertical tower and a diagonal brace carrying the wheel, with
>the winding engine on the ground floor, and 'Foerderturm', a steel
>or concrete tower with the (electric) winding engine on it's top.
>Maybe somebody is able to supply english translations?)
>
>Usually Malakow towers had a steam angine on the floor of a machine
>building just nearby (or connected to) the tower.
>(I will enclose a few photographs with the picture of the Crusnes
>tower.)
>
>There are a few examples of Malakow towers in the Ruhr are, where
>a 'regular' winding-towes has been added to the Malakow tower later
>(on top of the original shaft).
>So the Malakow tower lost it's original function.
>Zeche Prosper in Bottrop is an example for this kind of conversion.

I seem to remember there was a good model and extended historical
description of Malakow Türme in the Bergbau Musuem in Bochum. At least one
disused tower (Constantin) was still extant last time I was in Bochum.

Which Zeche Prosper in Bottrop are you talking about - there are/were at
least four of them!

regards
Richard