The following is from Mines of the Forest of Dean by kind permission of
the author:

Clearwell Caves [Iron Mines] also known as British Mine  NGR SO 5760
0820  A 550 feet  Coleford.
Just south of Coleford, turn right off the B4228 by the Lambsquay
Hotel.  These are disused iron mines which are open to the public.  The
mine complex extends over 600 acres and includes hundreds of miles of
passages which zig zag up and down the strata of limestone from east to
west, at an angle of 15o.  It has been mined to a depth of 600 feet
below the surface.  But since the mine closed the water level has
returned to it normal level of around 400 feet.  The tourist section
consists of eight caverns, or churns, as they are called locally.  They
are well lit and paved and the tour is self-guided.  Some artificial
pools and plenty of flowstone of various colours, including white, red
and green makes the mine appear as a natural cave.  Other features
include Barbecue Churn complete with toilets and gas barbecues.  A fine
two storey surface building of local stone, in typical Forest of Dean
style, contains a Cafe, a Museum of mining relics and a Gift Shop which
even sells caving lamps.

Cavers can obtain special permission to visit beyond the tourist section
and other mines in the area: Old Ham Gale, Old Bow Pit, New Dunn Pit
Gale, Easter Iron Mine, Lambsquay Gale, Oak Pit Gale, Injunction and
Belt Iron Mine (including Lea Bailey Mine Level), Wigpool Mine, Dean's
Meend Gale and Drybrook Iron Mine etc.  Contact: Ray Wright, Clearwell
Caves, Clearwell nr Coleford, Glos. Tel 0594 832535 day or 0594 823700
evenings.
nb at present, due illegal tipping of toxic waste polluting the water
and creating oxygen deficiency in the air, the first six mines are
closed [since July 1992].