Dear Bernard,

I share your enthusiasm with mid-Wales sites, and indeed with the scenic
location of Bryndyfi ( and perhaps also with the condition of its
waterwheel pits, buddles and lay-out), but I think it is only fair to
point out that this is not a mine with any particular history. If I am
right in saying it only ever saw activity in the early 1880's, and in
some respects was little more than a short-lived trial and a promotional
folly. There are a number of other similar small mine sites. A little
known 19th C. trial with similar well preserved and little used dressing
floors is the Blaendyffryn Mine (Nantyrarian) near Goginan. This site
has the added interest of the now dated earlier phase of prehistoric
mining for copper ores within an old opencut, barely 100 metres from the
19thC dressing floor. This was the subject of archaeological survey and
exavation in 1992 and dates from circa. 17-1800 BC.

As you probably know, Bronfloyd Mine, which WMS and WMPT have been
involved with (and which is scheduled) incorporates some of the best
preserved 19h C.mine remains in mid-Wales and an extremely long and
interesting history. It is quite right to point out the inconsistency of
claims for preserving heritage, whilst land reclamation schemes such as
at Cwmsymlog, Goginan, and Cwmerfin have unsympathetically dealt with
the mining landscape as a whole. At Cwmystwyth the prehistoric mining
and hushing remains on Copa Hill are protected, whilst the equally
important focus of historical mining to the west (including exceptional
preservation of mid-18th.century workings high on the hillside) is not.
Just one of the many inconsistencies to note.

All reclamation and safety work should have an archaeological component
written into it - just as in urban archaeology today, no contractors
should tender for work without first costing in and making time
available for an archaeological watching brief. And of course, the work
itself should have behind it the intention to preserve remains for the
future rather than to soften all the corners, and uniformly conceal an
interesting and varied landscape of coloured spoil under grass. Quite
why spoil is not treated as part of history, whilst buildings are, I
will never know (but of course we can all understand why it happens!).

I feel I've digressed a bit. But you get my drift?

Best wishes,

Simon