Salt was the "gold" standard
A pyramid of salt [at its dry natural angle of repose] measured
volumetrically by a Roman 'foot' square probably weighed approx
5500 troy grains [Fabretti] [Auzout] and [Congius]
which was about the weight of a Roman pound [libra centenaria=
100 Denarii]
Gold was estimated to be ten times the value by
weight of silver [100 years after the death of
Alexander]

Money [coin] did not have intrinsic value:
only its measure of representative weight
and its corrosion properties..
Some other "currencies" circulating at this time
in addition to salt, were feathers,
tortoise and cowrie shells and silk, and
"tallies"

SALT ARCHIVE  http://salt.org.il
Investigating    the   influence of
SALT   [NaCl]     in   civilisations