Sorry to bore you all, but here are some further thoughts on this
topic.

A little while ago Peter Claughton encouraged us all to
adopt/develop new methods of research (without enlightening us as
to what they might be).  As his response on early smelting and
mining in Yorkshire shows, perhaps he should adopt a more
hypothetico-deductive approach.  He claims that we are restricted
to three snapshots of the mediaeval industry and thereby ignores
many more snippets of evidence which can be used to built up a
model for what was going on.  Before pooh-poohing this, remember
that ten years ago this approach led me to point out that
customary mining law did not have to be imported or imposed by
Derbyshire miners and that evidence pointed to it having been used
much more widely in Yorkshire.  This was met with incredulity, but,
a few years later, Les Tyson turned up a set of laws used by
Marrick Priory to regulate its mines at Hurst.

I have no problems with David Kiernan's model for 16th century
Derbyshire, but I do resent unquestioning (ie Derby-centric)
attempts by others to transplant it.  What David describes is a very
mature phase of a long established industry and there is nothing to
suggest that Yorkshire, or any other county, approached the scale
of operations in mediaeval Derbyshire.  If it is wrong for me to
question the differences (with a moderate knowledge of the
subject), then it must be an academic folly to impose an
inappropriate model.

I can see little point in comparing experience in the silver industry -
as this metal was of negligible importance in Yorkshire and (I
believe) Derbyshire.  Apart from a few ounces at Grassington and
claims for minute mines in the Forest of Bowland, I have yet to see
a reliable reference to silver production in the Yorkshire Dales
(certainly south of the A66).

There are indications that the lead industries of Derbyshire,
Yorkshire and the North Pennines were different.  Not least are the
intriguing sites identified by John Pickin in the last area.  With the
possible exception of Grinton smeltings and another site near
Marrick, similar sites appear to be absent in the other two areas.
What about the Mendip too?

Lead mining in mediaeval Yorkshire was dominated by the
monasteries. There is plenty of evidence of their involvement in and
organisation of other industries (iron-making, potting, glass making
quarrying etc etc).  We know that they smelted at bales, but there
are also early references to a smelt mill near Pateley Bridge and
another near Kettlewell.  Fountains Abbey had major iron working
furnaces (with water-powered bellows) near the first of these and
was quite capable of applying this technology to lead smelting.
This alone points to a significant difference from the Kings Field
experience in Derbyshire.

Why is it that Lawrence Barker has been able to identify almost as
many bales in Swaledale and Arkengarthdale as there are boles in
the whole of Derbyshire?  Their distribution is also radically
different.  There is no evidence that a system of ore-buyers cum
merchant-smelters, such as the one described by David Kiernan,
evolved in Yorkshire.  On the contrary, everything points to the
mineral lords keeping control of smelting - which is a much better
way of regulating an industry comprised of small, dispersed
production units.

As for when slag furnaces/hearths (the term blackwork oven is an
alien one) were introduced into Yorkshire - I have no idea, but
vitreous slags were found at many of Lawrence's sites.  This
suggests that all of them either worked after Peter's tentative early
15th century date or that he may have to think again on that one
too!

Mike Gill

Mike Gill
Northern Mine Research Society