Dear All,

I rather naively in retrospect wrote recently in the British Journal of Midwifery of concerns about the midwifery research agenda being squeezed at a local level by obstetric controls that require Clinical Directors approval (invariably an obstetrician) and a Doctor's permission to access his/her patients for research. I say naively because although I criticised an obstetric research proposal for being described as midwife-led (the ORACLE Trial), other prominent midwifery researchers around the UK felt I was denigrating all midwifery collaborative research.

What I am particularly interested is whether these constraints operate locally elsewhere? And more broadly whether the term midwifery-led' is being marginalised  by a focus on 'teams' & 'multi-disciplinary working' that runs the risk of old fashioned obstetric hegemony. Or am I just paranoid. Personally, I have had a very negative experience of obstetric control at a local Trust level in the past year but I don't know whether my experience is more widely felt.

Best wishes,

Denis Walsh
Lecturer in Midwifery
De Montfort University