Hello ! I'm Johanna Sarlio, a Finnish midwife working in a small birthing
unit of a county hospital. My research interests are in cultural
anthropology and comparative religions and I wrote my MA thesis on rituals
of a Finnish hospital birth from a midwife's point of view and am now
starting my PhD-path. I am interested in the making of a midwife and the
professional journeys that individual midwives travel.
Having spent few years prior to becoming a midwife as a volunteer in
Southern Africa (Lesotho, Swaziland) I am especially interested with the
midwifery issues in Africa.
In Finland I am presently involved with starting of an informal association
of midwives that are interested in research.
I am very excited to be part of this list and so far the intros have been
most interesting! Looking forward to fruitfull discussions !
Lämpimin terveisin,
Johanna