Hello,

As I was reading Gillian White's curriculum vitae I was struck by the
eagerness for research shown by so many of the midwives on this list.  No
wonder Professor Erik Odeblad of the University of Umea in Sweden has had
so much success teaching the Billings Ovulation Method, with all the
research on the different types of cervical secretion, hormonal work of
Prof. James Brown, and trials conducted all over the world backing its
effectiveness.

Anyone interested in doing a Master's, Ph.d, doctorates etc., might like to
look further into all the psychological, social, educational ramifications
of this method.  Those midwives who care about women's health, child health
and midwifery education will find a wealth of information through Professor
Erik Odeblad in Sweden.  His fax number is on our website:
http://www.billingsmethod.com
Accredited teacher list. (Faxes are filtered through the University and may
take a few days to get to him).  A live animated version of his work on the
cervix and the different types of mucus, (so vital for sperm survival and
transport,)
can be found by accessing the website: http://www.woomb.org.

My degree is in social work and when I was being interviewed for a Master's
degree I became so passionate about the work of teaching this method (in a
voluntary capacity every week in the local medical continuing education)
that the professor remarked on it and asked me why I wanted to get a
Master's when he was sure I would continue the work I was doing after all
the work involved in obtaining this further degree...Of course he was
right.  I did not have to "work" because of my good husband and the happy
family life looking after three children kept me busy.  And I have
travelled all over the world helping promote the BOM...so what more do I
want?

When Prof. Odeblad came to Calgary he challenged the medical students, with
whom we did a workshop, to carry on in this area of natural family planning.

Susan

Susan Fryer
Calgary Billings Centre.
http://www.billingsmethod.com