Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce our latest user workshop, "Knowledge Management
and Innovation - under the ESRC European Context of
UK Science Policy Programme". The full programme is set out below.

We hope you will agree that the issues the research team are discussing are
central to science, technology and innovation policy.

For further information, or to request a registration form, please contact:

   Tim Rogers
   Science Policy Support Group
   1 Birdcage Walk
   Westminster
   London SW1

    T.    +44 171 799 3335
    F.    +44 171 799 3336

Or go to the website:

www.spsg.org/eurocon where you can find full programme details and  an
on-line registration form. Registration costs 18 pounds and includes lunch
and refreshments.

Places are strictly limited so early booking is advised.

**Knowledge Management and Innovation**

A User Workshop of the ESRC European Context of UK Science Policy Programme

Friday April 23 1999

Royal Academy of Engineering
29 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 3LW

What do we understand by organisational knowledge within firms and how do
firms rely on different types of internal and external networks to secure
it? How far do regulatory frameworks shape and manage expert knowledge? Can
knowledge sourcing be profitably organised to co-ordinate future innovation?
These are some of the questions being addressed in this workshop, which is
one of four being organised to disseminate the results of the ESRC Research
Programme The European Context of UK Science Policy.

10.30 - 10.50 Registration and Coffee

10.50 - 11.00 Introduction and Welcome:  Peter Healey, Programme Director

11.00 - 11.30 Managing Knowledge and Expertise in innovative drug testing,
John Abraham, Sociology Group, University of Sussex

11.30 - 12.00 Knowledge Articulation and Utilisation: Networks and the
Creation of Expertise Jacky Swan, University of Warwick, Sue Newell,
Nottingham Trent University and Harry Scarborough, University of Leicester

12.00 - 12.30 Knowledge Sourcing and Foresight: Public and Private Agencies
in the Health and Life Sciences, Annemiek Nelis, SATSU, Anglia University

 12.30 - 13.30 Lunch

13.30 - 14.00 The sourcing, management and use of knowledge and expertise
for innovation: cross-cutting themes and implications, Andrew Webster, SATSU

14.00 - 14.45 Implications for Policy and Future Research: Discussion led by
a Panel comprising  Professor Frank Blackler (Univ of Lancaster), Alistair
Keddie, Head Innovation Unit, DTI, Richard Walsh, Head, Policy Management
Unit, Department of Health, and Professor Andrew Webster, SATSU, Anglia
University

 14.45  Tea and Departure

The three projects reported on in the morning session relate to the
'Managing knowledge flows for innovation in Europe' theme (one of four
themes in the ESRC's Programme European Context of UK Science Policy). The
first paper after lunch will seek to draw together some themes from the
projects.