Colin,

I have recently completed my thesis on the credibility
of web sites for museums as part of an MA at the
University of Manchester.

During my research, I came across many articles
published on the web, which tackled the subjects of
how to build a successful web site.  I found the
papers published as part of the Museums and the Web
conferences in 1998 and 1999 particulary useful -
http://www.archimuse.com/mw98/papers and
http://www.archimuse.com/mw99/papers/ (the 1997 papers
are also available but only in printed form).

Other articles worth looking at are:

D Bearman, 'Museum Strategies for Success on the
Internet', paper based on a talk delivered at the
conference 'Museum Collections and the Information
Superhighway' held at the Science Museum, London on 10
May 1995, http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/infosh/bearman.htm

K Futers, 'Tell Me What You Want, What You Really,
Really Want: a look at Internet user needs',
http://www.mdocassn.demon.co.uk/eva_kf.htm

R Sabin, 'Museums and their Websites: An examination
and Assessment of how Museums are coping with the
challenge of the World Wide Web', Journal of
Conservation and Museum Studies, 2 (May 1997),
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/jcms/issue2/sabin.html
consulted on 12 July 1999

If you wish to read the conclusions of my thesis, I
will gladly e-mail a copy to you.

Best regards

Debbie Sequeira

PS.  I am now in London and would be interested in any
projects involving museum web sites or the
documentation of collections which I can help out on.
I can be reached by e-mail on [log in to unmask]

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:14:25 -0000 Reply-to:
[log in to unmask] Subject: Museums WWW
site
Dear all, I'm a new subscriber to this group so
apologies if my question has been discussed before. I
am about to start a major reappraisal of the WWW site
for the Norfolk Museums Service and I have been
looking at other museum WWW sites to get a feel for
design, content etc. However, I would like to know
whether any studies or research has been done into
what makes a good museum WWW site. This might include
a look at who visits such sites (tourists, local
people, teachers etc.) and for what purpose. If
anybody can help with this then I would be very
grateful. Best wishes, Colin Hynson (Education
Officer, Norfolk Museums Service)

=====