	SHARING MUSEUM SKILLS MILLENNIUM AWARDS - ROUND 3

		A further £16,000 has been awarded under Round 3 of the
Sharing Museum Skills Millennium Awards to support secondments by paid
staff and volunteers working in UK museums.  This round included four
awards to volunteers working within the sector;

		Timothy Mason, Director of the Museums & Galleries
Commission commented:

		"We are delighted to award over £16,000 to seven such
interesting applications, in addition to the £32,000 that has been
awarded in previous rounds.  We are especially pleased that four of the
grants in this round go to museum volunteers.  Without the help of
volunteers many museums would find it hard to achieve the high standards
in visitor care, access, education and other areas which enhance the
UK's museums.  The contribution volunteers make to our museums cannot be
underestimated.  We are delighted that they are benefiting from this
scheme."

		For full details of the awards given out under this
round please see the Sharing Museum Skills website;

		http://www.smsma.org.uk

		The next deadline for applications is 10 August 1999,
the scheme will continue until May 2001.

	Annie Hollobone
	Millennium Awards Administrator
	Sharing Museum Skills
	16 Queen Anne's Gate