Thank you for your reply, Ian. I like the idea of a precis of a long document,
which can then be followed up if need be. I suppose the trouble is that people
don't have the time to summarise things first.

I realise, too, the difficulties of financing IT projects, and have to say
that, even in the big nationals, funds may well have to go to other areas
rather than those in which we IT enthusiasts would like to see progress!
However, time may solve that.

My reference to the Museum of Scotland multimedia displays came about because
I was fascinated by the provision of small touch screens to supplement the
information provided on labels. I'm a curator in the Scottish National
Portrait Gallery, and in the past our institution has spent many hours
(days....months!) discussing topics such as 'How much information do we put on
a label? " Because we are a historical institution, collecting on the basis of
"Was the sitter a prominent Scot?" we need to supply information about
sitters, but as we are displaying paintings in an art museum environment, we
have to pay attention to the aesthetic considerations too, and say to
ourselves, 'Do all these big labels ruin the look of the hang?' It seems to me
that the mixture of wall labelling and multimedia is an excellent solution,
and with little, unobtrusive horizontal touch screens there should be none of
the usual curatorial complaints about big monitors ruining the look of a
display!

Best wishes,

Rosalind Marshall