Matthew,

I would say that on-site work is not just hardware related (if only!).
Fine-tuning a complex database for performance, performing
lengthy/complicated data routines and non-routine uploads are examples.
These are operations which one would conceivably need to carry out fairly
regularly, which might not always be done through a dial-up link and which
would require assistance, even with a local authority's or larger museum's
IT resources to hand.

Alice