"A CHRONOLOGY FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM"

Announcing the first e-conference from FISHEN, starting 10th January 2000

Everyone is invited to join in the first e-conference from FISHEN. It's open
24
hours a day, you can join in from your armchair, and it's free!*

Upwards of one million entries exist relating to the archaeological and
architectural heritage in the databases maintained by the national heritage
agencies, let alone the wealth of information held in the digital archives
of
research projects and sites and monuments records.

One of the frequently asked questions addressed to these systems is 'how old
is
it?' or put another way 'what can you tell me about the period I am
interested
in?'. But what do we mean by 'Roman', 'Saxon', 'Late Bronze Age' 'Post
Medieval'
'Tudor'?. How does the meaning of these terms vary across the country? How
can
we rely on the results of searches if we haven't defined what we mean?

FISHEN was established in 1998 to provide common standards for the content
and
indexing of digital heritage data. One project we are working on will
provide a
standard set of terms, appropriately defined, covering the chronology of the

United Kingdom from the earliest human habitation to the present day.
Various
standards already exist, but this conference will give everyone the chance
have their views heard, and to take part in the development of the new
national
standard.

'Registering' for the e-conference is simple. Just join the FISHEN mailbase
list
by sending the following text as the only message to [log in to unmask]

exactly as it appears below.

join fishen your full name
stop

for example...

join fishen Jane Bloggs
stop

After confirming your membership, you will receive further details about the

fishen discussion list.

As well as joining in the discussion, you will also be able to get copies of

existing lists and other discussion papers relating to this project or other

work from FISHEN to be emailed to you. Or just come along and listen.

The discussion will really get going on the 10th January, when a number of
original papers will be emailed to you. However, you're more than welcome to

arrive early. Other discussions will include standards for Maritime
archaeology
inventories, revision of the MIDAS data standard, metadata issues and more.

Edmund Lee
Coordinator
FISHEN

http://www.mda.org.uk/fishen

*on the down side there isn't a bar and a disco - but you can only do so
much by
email!